Monday, September 3, 2007

Want & Need

A friend of mine recently wrote an article for Paste in which he reflected on the state of our world today in relation to the lyrics of various John Lennon songs from the 60s and 70s. We always knew that lyrics weren't just to be taken at face value. Some people feel John Lennon was a bit of a flower child freak, and to a degree I guess I'm one of those people. But "all we need is love" was a hard message to be conveying back in those times, and is even now. It seems that in the darkest places on earth---places he mentions, such as Darfur---love and peace are exactly what we need a quadruple dose of.

Ironic, isn't it? The distance between need and want is vast. I need food, shelter and safety. I want a new pair of shoes, new kitchen cabinets, or a trip to Europe. Fortunately, because I was born in America, my needs are met with little effort, thus allowing me to pursue my wants at my leisure. The difference is, in the third-world, needs aren't being met for many, which leaves little room for desiring things beyond the most basic of human needs. What do we do about it? More importantly, what do we, as Christians do about it? Therein lies the real question.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

So true. One suggestion (which I know you & many of us already do): once your "needs" are met, begin looking at the "needs" of others before looking at your own "wants". Or better yet, put "taking care of the needs of others" at the top of your want list.