Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Dad...

So today I was working with first grade on sentences. They are supposed to begin to understand what constitutes a complete sentence as opposed to a fragment. So I would give them a fragment (basically, a simple subject), and they would have to complete the sentence to make it make sense.

So I put things up on the board like, "Miss Ginn..." and "My friend and I..." and "The ball..." Later on, I put up one that said, "My Dad..." I hesitated to put this one up, and apparently should have hesitated more. One child put, "My Dad is ossume!" (Which of course translates to "awesome"). Someone else wrote, "My Dad wrestles." Still another child said, "My dad is big." I look over at this one little boy who isn't writing anything. I prompt him and he comes up with, "My dad is a cheater! He cheated on my Mom!"

What do you do with that? Then the kid next to him says, "My dad is a cheater too. One time, we were playing Monopoly, and he cheated!"

We promptly moved on to "My mom..."

No comments: