Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What Really Matters?


My roommate, Kelli, just got back from Kenya. She spent ten days handing out food to the hungry and medicine to the sick. She played with kids who were eager to show her some acrobatics or perform a song they had written. One child sang her a song he'd been writing about his future. The gist was that even though bad things have happened to him in his life, he knows he has a future and a hope because of Jesus. The child in the picture to the left is called Sam. I don't know the story behind Sam yet, but I will. What's important to know though is that God has already authored every day written in Sam's big life. And he matters.

I worry about things that don't even count in the scope of eternity: what should I eat for dinner---I have so much to choose from. Where should I buy a new shirt---there are 100 stores in the mall and money in my bank account.

Kel saw people who might not have had food unless her team had been there handing out sacks of grain. There were children with parasites and AIDS. Kids had clothes literally falling off of their bodies and their parents had no money to purchase new ones. But smiles are on these faces, a peace that passes understanding. And all because of Jesus.

Kind of brings American consumerism to a halt, doesn't it?

No comments: