Tuesday, July 10, 2007

How Deep?


Today I have been listening to Francis Chan's talks from the Labor Day Retreat last year. The series is called, "This Thing Called Love," and it's about how deeply the Lord desires a love relationship with us. It's pretty amazing to just sit back and reflect on that for a moment. I think my new journey in Scripture is going to be finding verses that talk about God's love for us. Francis Chan says that because he did not grow up knowing the love of his own father---nor anyone else for that matter---that he honestly did not begin to fathom how much God cared for him until he was married and had his little girl, Rachel. He explains in his talk that when he realized that God's love for him was much like his own love for his daughter, he could not believe it. He kept saying to himself, "Is it possible that God can love ME like this?"

I can't help but feel sorry for all the things I've done that have not been glorifying to God. Jesus sacrificed everything for me, yet still I hurt people's feelings and follow my own agenda. I say that I love God, yet I put so many things before Him. But He loves me anyway. That is unconditional love.

Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your life (Isaiah 43:4, NIV).

The Creator of our universe calls me precious and honored! The least I can do is live a life that is Holy and pleasing to my Heavenly Father. I'll end with the lyrics from one of my favorite songs that I first learned when I was doing a Christian youth camp in England one summer:

How deep the Father's love for us, How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son, To make a wretch His treasure...

Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom.
(by Stuart Townend)

No comments: