Saturday, June 7, 2008

Pastimes...

Once again, I am intrigued by the social graces of Jane Austen. Tonight, as I was watching Emma, with my cousin and another friend, I couldn't help but marvel at the supreme politeness with which everyone treated one another. See examples below:

Mr. Knightley: Emma, you didn't ask me to contribute a riddle.
Emma: Your entire personality is a riddle, Mr. Knightley. I thought you overqualified.
~~~
Emma: Was he handsome?
Jane: Many say he is.
Emma: Was he agreeable?
Jane: He was in no way disagreeable.
Emma: Was he a man of information?
Jane: All his statements seem correct.
~~~
Emma Woodhouse: One does not like to generalize about so many people all at once, Mr. Knightley, but you may be sure that men know nothing about their hearts, whether they be six-and-twenty, or six-and-eighty.
~~~
Mr. Knightley: Marry me. Marry me, my wonderful, darling friend.

Man, gotta love you some Jane Austen.

No comments: